Man starts apartment fire in Winterthur searching for gas leak with lighter
A 49 year old had a narrow escape in Winterthur when he decided to search for a gas leak – with a lighter!
Two men were setting up a barbeque on Thursday evening – but they couldn’t get it going, but they could smell gas. One of the men searched for the leak with a lighter.
The resultant fire destroyed the apartment’s balcony and severely damaged the rest of the home. The two men were unhurt.
Police say the problem was they were using a barbeque bought in Germany and a Swiss gas cylinder. The connections are not the same, so it leaked.
The man with the lighter could face charges of negligence.