Bike the Lake - this weekend. Come along!
BIKE THE LAKE THIS WEEKEND!
Sunday 31 May 2015 - start 0700, Nyon
Bike the Lake is as an informal, social, charity cycle ride for fit cyclists who want to cycle around the Lake Geneva (or half of it), in one day.
For starters, Bike the Lake is not a day for cyclists who are cycling against the clock, or want to beat a personal best.
It’s a day to cycle socially in groups of similar-paced cyclists or, importantly, to help get first-timers around the lake with some old hands acting as bike buddies throughout the day.
What Bike the Lake offers instead is:
• An opportunity to cycle socially in groups of similar-paced riders
• Bike buddies cycling at controlled speeds as part of each group – so we can cycle at different paces but still cycle socially
• Timed-breaks across the day - at fixed points around the lake
• Support vehicles timed to support each group
• A chance to chat, meet and cycle with other social riders
• An opportunity to raise some money while having one of the best days out in the year. Please note we recommend a CHF100 contribution, either personally or through sponsorship. This year we have nominated ESCA, the English Speaking Cancer Association,www.cancersupport.ch, a local group who do incredible work for those touched by cancer.
Bike the Lake has raised over CHF50,000 in the last 8 years and this year it would be great if we could beat CHF10,000- let’s see what we can do!
Feel free to get friends, family or company to sponsor you. If you don’t fancy that, then we ask that your donation (for adults only) is made either directly to the charity by credit card before the day, or handed to Mark Butcher on the day. We will also give you a contact list for the day and an insurance waiver.
So keeping the informal and social spirit of Bike the Lake in mind, don’t just come along yourself this year, but find other friends, work colleagues and social cyclists who would like to come round the lake for the first time.
Challenge them and tell them you’ll be there to get them round. Use your own Facebook, linked in and work networks to get people involved.
Do encourage your company and organisation to get directly involved too by communicating Bike the Lake through staff and other communications, and if possible to also make a donation.
This is how the rough timings will work this year:
Meet time : 07.00 - sports centre Colovray, Nyon (NB new start location)
Start time : 07.30
(note : you can park for free)
Breakfast : from 08.30 to 09.30 - Hermance Port
(note : this is an optional stop but there’s no coffee and croissant at the start so here’s your chance to wake up and relax by the lake – thanks to Neil Archer of Knight Frank for his generosity in sponsoring this pit stop)
Mid-morning : from 10.00 to 11.00 - Evian
(option to catch ferry for half-lakers)
(note : this is where those who are cycling half the lake catch the ferry to Lausanne – ticket with bike approx. CHF30)
Lunch : from 11.30 to 13.30 - Vevey
(note : we’ll park the support vehicles in the main square and we’ll take our pick from 4 or 5 cafes/restaurants on the south side of the square, that will know we’re coming)
Ice-cream stop! : from 13.30 to 14.30 - Lausanne Quai D’Ouchy (Movenpick)
(note : another optional stop, but a popular one)
If you want to join in - sign up on the Facebook page or you can contact us here, firstname.lastname@example.org